your voice has been lent to numerous bands and projects. Including about Kimusawea, The Ocean and the grindcore band Bolz'n. Currently, it stands for CROWSKIN from Potsdam to the microphone. As different as the bands mentioned are. They share, however, that it always acts to exceptional music that challenges the listener to one or the other way.
But now the interview. It is about conflict management, the art world, gender-stereotyping in the HC and authentic music. Curtain up:
UtopiaNow:
Hi Alex, how are you? 'm Not sure when you come to answer these questions ... As the Tour is running so far?
Alexandra Bolz'n: Thank you, it is now after the tour and we arrived back safe and sound. It was exhausting and mixed. We had some very funny and exciting adventures, beautiful encounters and conversations, but also Downer. I think that is relatively normal. DIY tours in the area are always a little gamble, especially since we are a band that is not constantly on the move, so that one can never say exactly how many people will pitch. However, each tour is
in my view, an important experience for each band, people get to know one another, which is also welded together and it takes some indelible memories of his life. Odd.
UtopiaNow: Since when are you at CROWSKIN on board and how things are going so far?
Alexandra Bolz'n:
CROWSKIN When I've been about 2 years. I must say that it is so far the most relaxed band experience I've ever done. But while running an immensely high output. We have fun, to laugh together and consider our requests in the creative process. As far as published in a relatively short period of time I have before.
Currently we are about before the completion of the LP, which will be called Black Lava and to which I am very happy because I see as an important work for me. It will appear on Vendetta Records, which I also always very happy.
UtopiaNow: Why have Bolz'n actually resolved? I grieve for this band anyway still.
Alexandra Bolz'n: Hmm tough question. Bolz'n from the beginning was a very difficult project. Artistic, as well as interpersonal. Went there with a lot of reasons: different life positions, view wise, we were at different stations in life and it was estimated also developments completely different one.
We also had a difficult conflict management, to say to describe carefully. Many substantive arguments are the same mutated into flame wars and ideological battles that were fought very hard with bandages.
We had fun, but most have some very pronounced egos in the band geclasht - and since I will not now exclude themselves from. At the end there was really only dispute and it was really just a question of who is and his views more traversed. Very very negative, unfortunately.
It was about music, but also to external appearance, number of concerts, layout stuff and recording techniques. Many have said that it is exactly in the music has been found. In the end, but only pressure there, and no culture of debate anymore. Very sad. I mourn the band even after and I know I'm not so alone and the rest of us as very similar situation.
Bolz'n for me was crossing the border on many levels and that was very important to me.
UtopiaNow: your voice you have many projects and bands have borrowed. Is the rumor that remember that you are also times at The Ocean here were you?
Alexandra Bolz'n: Yes, that's true and is not a rumor, as well as Robin, the mastermind of the "collective" itself once mentioned an interview had. I spent some time here, had to leave the band but just before your first appearance, as I found out too autocratic.
I had to many discussions with Robin. Also, I'm not so good at singing other texts. I can only do when I connect them with something like what happened to Kimusawea where I had sung in some cases texts of our bassist Hajo. Robins texts have aroused in me.
But we still understand.
UtopiaNow: your lyrics on the myspace page are you talking too from Poems, are often self-centeredness, as far as I understand it. Could you imagine even more concrete and coherent story to tell? If so what could be the story for?
Alexandra Bolz'n: Yes, if I could I would take the course in attack. Unfortunately, I have it (yet?) Not the right technique.
I find short stories really exciting. Topics would be snapshots of life, important meetings, small inner dramas, interactions that fail, but also fantastic. Verschriftlichte dream about time travel across borders. I would like to be able to paper. I am with my results, I said, not really satisfied.
Maybe someday I'll bring out a small book of poems. We'll see.
UtopiaNow: You are also constantly involved in experimental projects that are more in the artistic context, for example in the place Transmediale.
What excites you at the art world?
Alexandra Bolz'n: my feeling that there are there not so many ideological barriers and constraints as in the hardcore and metal scene. You can do much more to try and artistic self-realization process is judged differently. Respectful, friendly, positive.
But I'm not really part of this operation, but Dock there and in at.
really judgmental people there are of course not, and with my work background I work there already irritating. The scene from the agiere out I will be considered in the art world after all probably not really high, I mean. Formations such as Sunn O))) have changed somewhat, but by and large fall yet further delineation mechanisms. And screaming women who have it be fun irritating, actually still is.
(..)
UtopiaNow: There are these romantic notion that authentic, meaningful art from misfortune and pain arises. Although it sounds pathetic, so this shows it in many biographies. How do you see? Do you think a certain dissatisfaction, Weltschmerz ..
as always .. is a prerequisite for your music?
Alexandra Bolz'n: Yes, there are various theories, and for me it is true to some extent to have. Suffering is an immensely productive creativity engine. Through my writing and my band I try to help certain states. This is in part difficult for people who participate because the other part has the effect also by its intensity.
I think it works through any of my bands and formations, what is unsettling for many and rather repulsive. Sun to process something so public, combined with my rather martial vocabulary, many to come not clear, I think, or it solves nothing in them or they may deal with negative feelings not so much.
other hand, I get many pages to Kimusawea as very positive reactions, in the sense that it was emotional for many a very important band.
not know. I just see how long I've been doing music and what is the resonance Sun
UtopiaNow: one hand, is praised in a review on your page your voice as a kind of "some of the most unfeminine sounds ever uttered (Stylus Magazine), on the other hand, you step in many photos, some of Alphacat stresses on female Could. you explain this a little closer?
Alexandra Bolz'n: A counter-question: what is the photos against that female? That my body, the body shapes look like?
I know that this type of staging triggers certain reactions.
I think it's more of a trend and thus offensive and aggressive artistic form of the (female) self-promotion, but also clearly in conflict with the dogmas of the hardcore scene, so I would think. This ties in with my response to the art world. I would like to try different things and pictures are included, in which I can live out certain aesthetic preferences.
(..)
UtopiaNow: Bolz'n were extremely; CROWSKIN are not exactly light food with what music you wake up and accompanied by sound which you brush your teeth? What music goes with you in the morning coffee?
You'll laugh, I actually do not hear as much music at home. I prefer some. Also, I was listening through my training very disgusted with where we sat all day listening to music.
I like besides banging even post rock and electronic stuff, and then walk sometimes, as well as old, very old classic techno and D'B.
UtopiaNow: What bands inspire you today?
My new Mathcore formation ZAAR.
UtopiaNow: Last Words?
Alexandra Bolz ': Thank you for the interview so that you left me a platform and have given the space to express myself. I found the questions interesting and at least I am also almost a fossil in the scene.
Surf to: There
CROWSKIN
Alexandra Bolz'n
Myspace
Homepage
jan (photos and interview)
The full interview is available in the print edition in January .
0 comments:
Post a Comment